Check expiry dates of the documents. Copies of the following documents are
acceptable within South Africa borders, but the originals must be carried
- Certificate of Registration
- Certificate of Airworthiness
- Insurance Papers
- Certificate of Release (MPI)
- Radio Station Licence
- Aircraft Flight Manual
- Air operators license for the country of operation
- Insurance, check validity for the country and type of operation
- Flight clearances for the aircraft
- Technical logbook / Flight folio
- Captains logbook
- Fuel Cards (BP for East Africa, ?? for West Africa, Total, Elf, Mobil,
Shell). Get a updated list from the fuel companies in the different countries
of the availability of fuel at the destination airports.
- A carry case for the above documentation.
- Maps for the route and destination
- Latest AERAD - African supplement.
- Handheld aviation radio
- GPS - check the last software and data update for the region to be
- Medical kit - check the contents. See
- Anti-Malarial kit. Prevention is better than cure.. See Appendix 2.
- Survival kit adapted to the operational environment. See Appendix 2.
- Signal Strips
- Fire extinguisher - Check the charge and expiry date.
- Over-water operations
- Life-vests for each person onboard.
- Jerry-cans and/or long range tank.
- Refuelling funnel
- Exhaust covers, inlet covers, main rotor tie downs, pitot cover,
windshield cover and/or sun shield, static hole lock.
- Ground handling wheels
- Spare key hidden on the aircraft.
- Fuel pump (electrical or manual) with fuel filter (change filter if
necessary) and a spare filter, and/or one (1") inch siphoning hose 3 to 4
- Drum Spanner.
- Water locating paste
- Aviation (NATO) jumper cable and bridging cable for two 12V batteries
(length 2.5 metres)
- Ground power unit.
- Battery charger.
- Tool kit:
- Complete set of appropriate spanners (metric and/or imperial)
- General pliers
- Shifting spanner
- Spares relating to aircraft:
- Engine oil
- Gearbox oil
- Hydraulic oil
- Q20 / WD40
- Blade tape
- Safety wire
- Cleaning equipment:
- Liquid soap
- Compressor wash kit - pump & fittings
- Small step-ladder
- Special equipment for:
- Internal cargo
- Lockable fuel caps (prevention of fuel theft and/or sabotage)
Back to Top